If you have an interest in ambience recording then you should definitely check out this test session from July 2012: “At the occasion of the VDT seminar “Ambience recording” in Berlin, a collection of 5 simultaneous recordings with 6 different surround ambience microphone setups was produced. These test samples enable a direct comparison between the different setups (and recording principles) and therefore a very precise assessment of the properties of the recording techniques in different recording locations.”
The mic rigs tested include
- spaced omni with 5 omni mics
- spaced cardioid with 5 cardioid mics
- IRT-cross with 4 cardioid mics
- ORTF Surround with 4 supercardioid mics
- Double MS with 3 coincident capsules cardioid/fig8/cardioid
- CMIT Double MS, as per double MS except using a shotgun mic
There is a 700MB zip file of recordings from the different mic setups & locations, plus a PDF with detailed description of recording setups, venues & the listening test plus a theory paper & slides…
Have a read & listen HERE
thanks Emil for the tip & thanks to the organisers for making this available!
note: downloads seem to be very slow – 1hour35 to download a 2MB pdf!? help!