I often see people (reddit, forums etc) trying to ID a sound, so I am writing an article about “how to interrogate a sound” i.e. techniques to work out how a sound was created…
So my Q: what techniques do you use?
Obvious techniques include:
– slow it down – listen at half speed, quarter speed
– speed it up
– play it backwards
Analyse spectrum for pitch:
– what is fundamental freq?
– is pitch quantised or free? modulated?
– are naturally complex harmonics present?
– are quantised/tuned harmonics present?
Memory of similar sounds is useful, and analysing those for comparison…
Anyone do #forensic audio for a living?
I’ll do more research as I put it together…
Appreciate & will credit any suggestions